Team hub Washington Redskins

FanCom Home Of The 3X Super Bowl Champions

I think the redskins pass rush was good this year, and the loss of Jonathan Allen created the downfall. 
IF he and Ionnaidis are healthy, they do have a very stout interior. Prior to Allen being hurt, they were almost a completely different defense.

This team needs playmakers. Thompson is about it on the roster. The WRs? No one. show me. Jamison Crowder was unreliable this year despite some flashy games. Doctson doesn't look like he wants to try half the time.. needs to step up. Grant is a fine player, but he's not scaring the defense.
Our TEs. We've got a load of potential that never plays, can't get off the injury list. Talent is great on film, but if it isn't on the field it doesn't exist. Davis is an elder and I think he can continue to be a good receiver for another year.  Sprinkle seems to be the only one who can block. I like Paul, but he's a better special teams guy, and i don't think we gain any edge with him as a solid part of the offensive gameplan. Necessity forced him this year and he played well enough, but there's not a future that we haven't already seen.

RBs.. I think we have been given a dose of run-o-the-mill for a while now, and it's hampered judgment on what we have. Gruden said the other day he HOPES or starting RB was on the roster since we have so many, but I HOPE he was being sarcastic.

Kelly has no vision, no breakaway speed. He's an undrafted rookie and he plays a bit above that level. IMO he is not a bell-cow back, and cannot be the #1 back. Off the top of my head, I don't think there is a team with a less effective starting RB in the league. 

Perine has potential, I DO like that he gets better as the game goes on, he gets stronger in the 4th quarter,, but he needs work. Can he be a bona-fide #1 back? maybe, but it'd be nice if those 1st half runs weren't for a yard or two.  (take the Cardinals game. He got it going a bit in the fourth quarter with a few 9-10 yard runs. But prior to that he'd barely rushed for 25 yards. Runs up the back of his line a bit much.. I think he should be significantly better next year with a full season behind him.)

Thompson is terrific in his role. As a change of pace 3rd down scat-back, he's one of the best in the league. Best runner on the team. But as an every-down back i think you risk him, he does get hurt.. and i think it diminishes his effectiveness as the scat-back.  In other words when it comes to how he's utilized, it ain't broke, so don't fix it.

Kapri Bibbs..  i hear people saying lots of nice things about him lately.. and I admit he had some nice moments. BUT...  those nice moments were nice because there weren't many other nice moments surrounding them, so they stand out. Hey.. someone CAN play a little bit! So we are fooled by seeing an average back do average things into thinking it's more. 

Over the last month the Redskins run game was atrocious.. so a 5 or 6 yard gain was a bright spot.

But, it looks to me like the NFL is moving back to the feature back offense with highly drafted RBs proving they are not a "dime a dozen" as was a popular concption over the last ten years or so.While i would absolutely love the Redskins to somehow land Saquon Barkley, i don't think here is any chance he falls to 13. But even without Barkley, i think RB has to be a high priority.

~Bang

New Reply
Please login to post a reply