Team hub Philadelphia Eagles

FanCom Home Of The 3X NFL Champions In 1948, 1949, 1960

The draft was a lot different back in 2002. Not only was the first round a lot shorter than it is now, but the draft was only split into two days. Day one consisted of rounds 1-3, with day 2 rounding the draft out with rounds 4-7, and for me, that made things much more interesting.

Coming out of my preparations for the combine, I was projected to be drafted in the third round, which meant that at the end of day one, I would already know who I would be suiting up with next season. But projections are just that. There is no telling what might happen in the span of those 48 hours, and as names get called, the nerves grow a little more and more.

I started watching the draft right around 1pm at my parent’s house back in Maryland. The first round took about three hours and felt longer as each pick in the second round went by. The third round approached, and I was still on the board. 10 picks into the third round, nothing. 20 picks in, and still nothing. I sat there watching guys I had played against, seeing them getting drafted, and all I could do was compare myself to them. They have been drafted, but hear I am, still without a team.

It was around 10:30 pm when I got the call. When I picked it up, it was Andy Reid, the then head coach of the Philadelphia Eagles. They were on the clock next, and he was calling me to let me know that they were going to take me with their next pick. 

It’s a crazy feeling getting drafted. All you are thinking about is your next life in a sense, what is going to happen now that you have made it to the NFL and where you are going to go since you don’t have any control of that. As a high school football player, you have control of where you play college ball, but when you get to the draft, it’s a whole different story. You have no control over who is going to pick you, what franchise you will be playing for, what city you will be in. But when the Eagle’s drafted me, it was a comfortable feeling. I already knew the area pretty well since Villanova wasn’t far, and I had achieved my dream of making it into the NFL.

I stressed myself out on draft day. I was so stressed on where my future was going and where I was going next, that it made it hard to focus. For all of you draft prospects out there, don’t stress out so much about the draft. Yeah, the feeling of getting drafted is pretty great, but it’s not just about the day, it’s about your future in the league as a whole. Getting drafted is step one. Steps will continue to appear before you as you move throughout your career, and it’s what you do when those appear that help propel your career. 

Whenever I hear people talk about draft prospects, the idea of “going to a small school" carries around a negative connotation, and that should never be the case. I went to a small school because I was focused on getting my degree and what I did in high school. But when you are in college, you grow as a person and a player, and it’s what you do there that puts you in a position to play at the next level. 

If you are a good player, and are even considered for the NFL, there is something special about that. When you have skill and talent, it doesn’t matter what school you went to. Look at Carson Wentz. We went to a small school in North Dakota, and his skills and talents are what brought him to where he is right now. Don’t focus on your school’s size, focus on your own skills and talent. That’s what is most important.

For the guys that do get drafted, remember to stay professional throughout the whole process. It would be nice to be that number one pick, but it ultimately doesn’t matter. There may be more money to come your way if you’re drafted early on, but no matter what, you have the opportunity to make an NFL roster. There are guys who get paid millions on draft day, only to be cut three years later, and guys who get drafted in the sixth round and end up being hall of famers. 

No matter what, believe in yourself and who you are. The draft doesn’t define you. The skills you have, the work you put in, and the final product you create are the things people will remember you for. So when draft day passes, and you are either a first rounder, fifth rounder, or sitting with no team at all, think back to who you are, and remember that the journey has just begun.

New Reply
Please login to post a reply